The practice to keep the mind, body in complete harmony and at peace is the ultimate goal of yoga. A centuries old practice Yoga has been known to be extremely beneficial for the health and well-being of people who practice it regularly. Yoga should be done under the guidance of a yoga instructor. An instructor helps to do the asanas correctly, follow the correct posture and breathing technique to gain the maximum benefit from yoga.
Many a times, it becomes difficult to go for yoga classes at a center near you. At times like these following a strict yoga practice at home comes in handy as it supports your physical and mental health as well.
Here are a few tips to know for you to start yoga at home:
- Research and preparation – Read about yoga asanas, benefits and styles. Go through images to learn the correct posture. Get comfortable clothes, a good yoga mat and a good spot to practice yoga. Do not eat anything 4 hours prior to doing yoga.
- Find a quiet spot for yoga – A well-lit and ventilated spot in the house is ideal for doing yoga. It has to be serene and spacious to do the asanas comfortably.
- Yoga clothing – Relaxed clothes which are a little loose is great for yoga as they let you breathe and also absorb the sweat.
- Set attainable goals – Formulate fitness goals for yourself. These should be specific and achievable and can be attained in a specific time frame.
- Practice regularly – Decide on a time that best suits your time to practice yoga. It can be early morning or evening. 20 minutes in a day is sufficient.
- Do not get distracted – Focus on practicing yoga and avoid getting distracted by anything like phone calls etc.
- Start with the basics – Start with yoga for beginners, with asanas that are basic seated postures and stretches. Get familiar and comfortable with basics first and then move forward.
- Start with a warm up – A warm up before you start with yoga is imperative as it prepares the body for the routine ahead and protects from injuries.
- Practice yoga on an empty stomach – Avoid doing yoga immediately after a meal. A gap of 4 hours after a meal is a must, before you start yoga.
- Breathe correctly – This is the most important aspect of yoga. You should hold your breath only when specified. Learn the right breathing technique.
- Go slow – It is vital to not rush through yoga as it is meant to nourish your mind and soul. Give your body sufficient time to adjust to yoga.
- Cooling down – It is crucial to cool down after a session of yoga as it calms the muscles down. End your yoga session with Savasana as it restores breathing and calms the blood circulation.
These tips will help you to practice yoga at home. Though it is always advised to go slow and in case of any unexplained aches or pains consult a doctor immediately.