UAE Special: How is the family system in the Emirates?

by Puja
  1. Introduction
  2. Documents required
  3. Settling in UAE along with the family
  4. Change in family generation
  5. Marrying in UAE
  6. Conclusion

Are you someone who is planning to go to UAE sooner? There are processes and requirements you need to be careful about when you plan on relocating. This article will prepare you for the shifting, so that the hassle will be much lesser to you.

Documents required to move to UAE?

To sponsor your family in UAE, you need to complete your visa processes first. Furthermore, keep the residency permit and Emirates ID in your hands. After completing the process, you will need documentation related to the family. It will include all personal documents like birth and death certificates. Keep all of these documents ready in your hands. Additionally, some of the documents will be attested right in the country of origin. If the family moves with you to UAE, you will have 60 days from arrival to apply. You will be given the entry permit that will be converted to a residency permit.


Some of the documents that the sponsor needs to provide by the sponsor are:

  • Copy of passport
  • Entry stamp or reproduction of the last resident visa stamp
  • Six passport-sized photographs with white background
  • The residence visa copy of the sponsor
  • The Emirates ID of the sponsor
  • Marriage certificate attested
  • Ejari certificate copy
  • Dubai Electricity and Water Authority bill that is not less than three months old
  • Medical Insurance Policy approved by DHA, etc.

If you have dependent children, you have to provide additional documents:

  • Birth certificate attested
  • If the dependent child is UAE born, a certificate from the health ministry

If the parents of the dependent children become UAE residents, the father will be the initial sponsor of the children. Besides, this will be as long as he is meeting the requirements. The marriage certificate needs to be attested fully. Additionally, you need to translated these to either in English or Arabic. This is obviously if the documents are in any other language.

Things needed to settle in UAE along with family?

UAE with Family

If the sponsor plans on working in UAE, they can do so but only with a work permit of their own. Furthermore, if the sponsor is moving from UK, Europe, Canada or the USA, the children will have to acquire a school leaving certificate. Moreover, if they are relocating to Dubai, they will need the leaving certificate to enrol in the new school. It should have the official bear stamp of the previous school. For all other students from other countries, the certificate must be attested in the country of origin. It has to be followed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs And the Ministry of Education in the UAE.

The life in UAE is an amalgamation of different countries and cities. There have been new dramatic turnarounds to the traditional way of life. Further, many families are still living in the conventional living ways. People might live in contemporary houses and provide primary education, but many follow the traditional way of life.

How family generations change over time?

Generations of families have been changing over time. Likewise, formal meetings with hugs and nose kiss are allowed. The clothes are still the same for many people, but the fabrics used are of superior quality. The social situations have also changed to a great extent. For example, an Emirati family had so many generations living together. But with changes over time, the nuclear family concept started. Parents and children began living separately with another person to do the household chores. Even though they live separately, but they stay close to their original residences.

Earlier, Emirati family used to have about 6 to 8 children. But over the years, families have been choosing fewer children. Parents today want better education for their children. Even health care is so essential for the parents. Having many children turns out to be expensive for the parents.

Planning to Marry in the UAE?

Many people come to UAE for staying for some years and then leave. But many people also end up living for longer years. People come here to establish their careers and grow money. But you will find so many people who have ended up getting married in UAE only.

1. About mixed religion marriages

Mixed religion marriages happen when a non-Muslim woman marries a Muslim Man. Since UAE is a Muslim country, Islam doesn’t allow Muslim Women to marry Non-Muslim Men. For a man to marry a Non-Muslim woman, he should first convert himself legally into Islam. He should bring that certificate while at the marriage registrar.

Mixed Marriages

2. All about Muslim Marriage

The Muslims have two options of getting married. Firstly, they can get married in court in front of a judge. Secondly, the Islamic Sheikh, where the priest comes to the house to complete the wedding vows. But certain conditions need to be maintained for getting married:

  • The legal male guardian of the bride should be present. It is the father or sometimes brother of the bride. If the father is not able to attend, consent in Arabic must be attested. If the father is deceased, a certified death certificate must be given, converted to Arabic. If there are no male relatives in the family, the documents must be attested.
  • If the bride is a divorcee or widow, the certificates relating to the husband’s previous marriage or death certificate must be given.
  • The birth certificates of both the parties fully attested should be given. Passports and ID copies should accompany this. There must be two male witnesses with ID copies and original passports.
  • The health authority of the Emirate should give a marriage blood test certificate. Also, for the expats, the consent documents need to be delivered from the embassy. You have to check with the embassy early for avoiding any delays in the marriage.

3. In case of Non-Muslim Marriages

Non Muslim Marriage

Non-Muslim marriages can’t take place in the courts of the UAE. Secondly, the unions can be completed in the following:

  • Temples
  • Churches
  • The embassy of the bride or groom. These must be foreign documents duly attested by the UAE Government.

The documents have to be issued in English and must be considered legal documents in the UAE. It has to be:

  • Notary stamped
  • Attested by UAE Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Justice. It should be translated into Arabic.

Some countries require the citizens to submit the marry intent document within two months of the marriage. Check with the embassy so that you don’t miss out on particular dates. Some other documents required are:

  • Birth certificates fully attested of both bride and groom along with their IDs and passports.
  • The marriage blood certificate has to be given by the health authority in the State.

The last thing is to start all the paperwork early so that not much is left to do on the big day.

Sponsor supporting parents or parents-in-laws

Many ex-pats go to UAE to even provide a better lifestyle to their parents or even parent in-laws. There are certain documents that the latter need to have as well:

  1. Minimum income monthly of DHS 19,000 or 20,000
  2. Passport photo of both the parent
  3. The proof of relation attested
  4. Parents should be sponsored together
  5. Two-bedroom accommodation
  6. If the parents are divorced, the divorce certificate to be attested
  7. If anyone parent has died, a death certificate attested
  8. Proof that you are the sole income provider for your parents or in-laws.


The UAE Government is trying its best to provide the best living standards to families. UAE is a great place to live in. Moreover, it has a positive work and family life balance.

Get More Such Content