If you are a millennial or older then you have seen the evolution of digital devices. But children nowadays get their hands on gadgets in their infancy. Above that, this pandemic has made kids rely on online classes and online games. The screen time of the children has increased dramatically. This gives a rise to myopia among children.
Myopia or short-sightedness is a condition in which a person is not able to see distant objects clearly. It is the most common form of refractive error. If a child gets myopic at an early age, then his/her eyesight will become worse with age till the child attains maturity. In this article, we will see the cause, prevention and cure of myopia among children.
How do children get Myopia?
- Myopia occurs in young children due to the increase in the length of the axil of the eye. The shape of the eye changes until the age of 20. If before that eye grows abnormally in a child then it can cause Myopia.
- Myopia can also occur in children due to heredity.
- Children with more screen time are vulnerable to myopia.
- Children who do not do any physical activity are more prone to myopia.
- Lack of Retinol in children can also cause myopia in children.
How can you detect myopia in children?
- Myopia in children is often accompanied by a little squint when they try to look at distant objects
- Your kid might complain to you about frequent headaches.
- Children sometimes feel nauseated while reading.
- If your child is trying to watch TV closely or facing difficulty in reading from a distance then it is a sign of myopia.
How to prevent this condition?
If you want to prevent your child from Myopia. You must follow the following things.
- The risk of myopia can be reduced by exposing the child to the sun.
- Keep enough light while your child is reading and writing.
- You must ensure that your child is taking breaks in between reading or screen time.
- You should provide retinol enriched food to your kid.
- Make sure that your child is doing sufficient physical activities.
- Try to correct the posture of your child while reading or watching the screen. There should be a proper gap between the eyes and books or mobile.
Treatment of myopia:
Although prevention is better than cure, you should consult an ophthalmologist if your child is facing any of the abo6 symptoms.
This condition is not curable with any medicine, the eyesight is corrected with the help of refractive lenses. Besides, once your child attains the appropriate age you can go for Lasik surgery on the advice of a doctor.