Teeth are one of the most crucial body parts of the human body. We must take care of our oral health so that we do not need to undergo surgical procedures like a root canal.
However, if you are going for a root canal, it is necessary to take special care of food and drink habits afterwards. Today, in this article, we will tell you what you should not eat and what you should eat after RCT.
Brief about Root Canal Treatment:
A root canal is done in case of tooth infection. There are 3 parts of the tooth. Dentine is the main part of the tooth and the innermost part of a tooth is the pulp, which is soft. The nerves and blood vessels enter through the root of the teeth. It reaches the pulp chamber through the root canal. Inside the crown of the teeth is the pulp chamber. A root canal is done when the pulp of a tooth becomes inflamed or infected. This infected area is removed in a root canal treatment. After removing the infected pulp, the area is cleaned and filled with the dental filling.
Root canal is not a very complex procedure. The canal is opened by drilling through the crown of the infected tooth. After this, all the pulp is removed. The entire canal is cleaned with hydrogen peroxide and sodium hypochlorite. After which, it is completely filled with calcium filler. Once the filling is done, the tooth is sealed with silver filling or tooth color filling. A cap is applied after a root canal treatment to strengthen the tooth.
Read more: Vitamin E – Improve Your Oral Health
What you should not eat after RCT?
If you have undergone a root canal treatment, you should not eat anything for a few hours after treatment. Besides, you should also not eat the following things for a few weeks.
- Do not drink alcohol after a root canal under any circumstances. This can be very harmful to you.
- If you eat betel nut, then stop it for the time being, because it can be very dangerous for your teeth.
- Avoid eating any type of hard shell fruit, which gives you difficulty in chewing or swallowing.
- Do not eat carrot or radish in the salad. As this can give you a toothache.
- Restrain yourself from consuming any kind of whole grains like gram, barley, millet, such things which are hard to chew.
- Do not consume soft drinks after the treatment. These drinks are acidic, which can corrode the cap.
- Moreover, you should keep your hands away from any hard dry fruits.
- Do not consume any kind of citrus fruits like lemon, orange etc. These fruits are highly acidic, which can damage the tooth.
- After RCT, you have to say no to candy and cookies.
What you should eat after RCT?
We have enlisted the things which you should be wary of. Now, let’s see what one should eat after RCT.
- You can have cream, soup, cheese, yoghurt, milkshake, pudding, liquid protein supplements.
- Eat soft, creamy foods high in calories and high in protein. Eating them will also reduce the pain.
- You can eat a spoonful of cold cream mixed with vanilla extract and a little sugar, this will also give a soothing effect to your mouth.