When we say “pregnant”…. An image rushes to your mind where the situation is very delicate and requires utmost care and nurturing. The thought is right but if combined with the right kind of exercise you can enjoy your pregnancy as much as any other time. Yoga is a wonderful option during pregnancy and is known to benefit the mother in many ways. It helps you to breathe and relax, it calms the mind and the body too.
The emotional and physical stress that a woman goes through during pregnancy can be relieved by way of yoga. It has been observed that yoga helps to ease feelings of nausea and fatigue too.
There are many yoga asanas that can be safely done during pregnancy. These are as follows:
- Vakrasna (Twisted pose) – This benefits your spine, hands, legs, neck along with your abdominals.
- Utkatasana (Chair pose) – This asana strengthens the pelvic and the thigh muscles.
- Konasana (Angle pose) – This asana helps to keep you flexible from the waist area and prevents accumulation of fat in the area.
- Paryankasana (Ham’s pose with one leg) – This strengthens the thigh, abdominal and the pelvic muscles.
- Hast Panangustasana (Extended hand to big toe pose) – Like the previous asanas this too helps to strengthen the pelvic and the thigh muscles which face the maximum strain during pregnancy.
- Bhadrasana (Butterfly pose) – the inner thighs and the pelvic region is strengthened by this pose.
- Parvatasana (Mountain Pose) – This asana provides relief from backache and helps to improve the posture of the body.
- Yastikasana (Stick pose) – This asana stretches the body comfortably, relieves body tension and corrects the posture.
Expectant mothers should be careful while doing yoga and shouldn’t push too far with the asanas. Supervision is always recommended to avoid any complications.