Iron is one of the most needed minerals in the body. It is the main constituent of blood in the body. A deficiency in iron can cause anemia, fatigue, lowered immunity and fuzzy thinking. Green leafy vegetables, beans, dried fruits, meat, poultry and sea food are good sources of iron. Taking iron rich foods with vitamin C helps in better absorption of the mineral.
Here are some delicious and healthy recipes that are high in iron:
Spiced carrot & lentil soup
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- pinch chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 600g carrots, washed and coarsely grated (no need to peel)
- 140g split red lentils
- 1l hot vegetable stock (from a cube is fine)
- 125ml milk
- plain yogurt
- naan bread, to serve
- Heat a large saucepan and dry-fry 2 tsp cumin seeds and a pinch of chilli flakes for 1 min, or until they start to jump around the pan and release their aromas.
- Scoop out about half with a spoon and set aside. Add 2 tbsp olive oil, 600g coarsely grated carrots, 140g split red lentils, 1l hot vegetable stock and 125ml milk to the pan and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have swollen and softened.
- Whizz the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor until smooth (or leave it chunky if you prefer).
- Season to taste and finish with a dollop of plain yogurt and a sprinkling of the reserved toasted spices. Serve with warmed naan breads.
Spicy corn, black bean & feta salad
- 2 sweetcorn
- 400g can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- lime wedges, to serve (optional)
For the dressing
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chipotle Tabasco sauce (use regular Tabasco if you can’t find this)
- juice and zest 2 limes
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Boil the corn for 10 mins in salted water, rinse in cold water, then cut the kernels off. Tip the beans into a bowl with the cooked corn, avocado, tomatoes and spring onions.
- Mix the dressing ingredients with some seasoning, then pour over the salad. Toss together well, scatter the feta over the top and serve with lime wedges, if using.
Creamed Curried Spinach
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 5 thinly sliced garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 pound fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Cook extra-virgin olive oil, crushed red pepper, and thinly sliced garlic cloves in a large skillet over medium-high until garlic begins to sizzle, about 2 minutes. Add thinly sliced shallots and curry powder; cook 2 minutes. Add fresh baby spinach to pan in batches, stirring until wilted before adding more. Stir in yogurt and kosher salt.
These healthy recipes are rich in iron. They are extremely nutritious and give you proper nourishment especially if you are deficient in iron.
Follow More: Know How Nutritious Is Avocado