Zucchini or courgette as it is popularly called is a summer squash, a vegetable that can be eaten raw, cooked, fried, baked, soup and in many other ways. It has a delicate flavor and needs a little more than quick cooking. It can be baked into a bread much like a banana bread or a cake like a carrot cake.
A zucchini bread is easy to make and is very healthy. It is very low in calories and can be eaten alone or as an accompaniment to marmalade or jam or butter. Here is a healthy recipes for zucchini bread that has been tried and tested:
- 2 cups (240g) whole wheat or gluten-free* flour (measured like this)
- 2 ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tbsp (7g) unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla stevia or 150 ml honey or maple syrup
- ½ cup (120g) plain Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp (210mL) toned milk
- ¾ cup (68g) freshly grated zucchini, patted dry
- ¾ cup (80g) freshly grated carrot (about 1 medium, peeled)
- ¾ cup (94g) finely diced apple (about 1 small)
- ¼ cup (40g) raisins
- 2 tbsp (14g) finely diced pecans or walnuts
- 2 tbsp (10g) shredded unsweetened coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 9×5” loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and vanilla stevia. Add in the Greek yogurt, stirring until no large lumps remain. Stir in ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons of milk. Alternate between adding the flour mixture and remaining milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, and stirring just until incorporated. (For best results, add the flour mixture in 3 equal parts.) Gently fold in the zucchini, carrots, apple, raisins, pecans, and coconut.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Cover the top of the pan with foil. Bake covered at 350°F for 35 minutes. Quickly and carefully remove the foil, and return the pan to the oven. Continue baking at 350°F for an additional 20-25 minutes (for a total of 55-60 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Notes: For the gluten-free flour, use as follows: 1 cup (120g) millet flour, ½ cup (60g) tapioca flour, ½ cup (60g) brown rice flour, and 1 ½ teaspoons xanthan gum. Many store-bought gluten-free flour blends (like this one!) will also work, if measured like this.
This healthy recipe for zucchini bread takes about an hour to make and is full of aromatic spices and is extremely simple to make.