Tofu or soybean curd is a soft, cheese-like product, which is made by grinding of soybeans. It seems like a milk substance. Tofu is a great example of how a simple food like soybeans can be woven into human food traditions in a way that is natural, inexpensive, and nourishing. Tofu has gained popularity over the years especially as a vegetarian- and vegan-approved source of protein. It seems to have a healthy reputation with consumers. Tofu is rich in proteins, minerals, and calcium, besides being a great substitute for meat. The health benefits of tofu are numerous. Some are mentioned below:
1. Regular consumption of tofu helps reduce the risk of getting a stroke and other cardiovascular diseases, by reducing bad cholesterol levels and triglycerides.
2. Consuming tofu reduces the cholesterol level in the body. Additionally, using it as an alternative to the animal protein can help lower LDL (bad) cholesterol in the body. As compared to meats such as beef, it has lower levels of saturated fatty acids and higher levels of unsaturated fatty acids. It is also a good source of lecithin and linoleic acid, which helps regulate metabolism.
3. Tofu is full of iron. In 100g of tofu, you will get up to 30% of your daily iron requirements. So good source for fulfilling iron intake in the women.
4. The proteins present in tofu help improve the elasticity of skin, and tone facial muscles.
5. Tofu is a good source of potassium and calcium which are required for bone health and mainly diseases related to bones like osteoporosis, fracture and bone cancer.
6. An organic compounds Isoflavones which present in tofu, play a very good role in managing the symptoms of menopause in women. Isoflavones are plant-based compounds which play a similar role as estrogen hormone. It can help stabilize the estrogen levels during menopause and relieve hot flashes.
7. Soy protein plays an important role in enhancing renal function in the body. So people who are undergoing dialysis or kidney transplantation, intake of soy protein prove to be boon for them.