Ragi muddle or Ragi sankati is a wholesome meal in the state of Karnataka and the Rayalaseema region in India. Ragi is a finger millet and muddle is a moist ball. This is nutritious and healthy. Ragi is an excellent source of calcium, thus consumption of this millet can reduce the risk osteoporosis as it strengthens the bones. This ragi is also a rich source of fiber and helps to lower the cholesterol level and sheds off the extra calories which obviously control weight gain. If you are trying to lose weight, then you must include ragi in your diet as it is considered one of the best foods for weight control. Ragi is well known as the poor man’s millet from decades as they are easy to grow with minimal water resources and zero pesticides.
Cuisine Type: Indian
Servings: For 2 people
Prep time – under 5 minutes
Cook time – under 10 minutes
Ragi flour: 1/4 cup
Water: 1 cup
Salt: As needed
- Heat water in a pan.
- Add ragi flour and salt in the boiling water and mix well without any lumps. Cook on the medium flame.
- Cover the pan with lid.
- Do not stir at this point.
- Cook for three minutes.
- Stir well with a wooden stick to prevent lumps.
- Switch of the stove and leave it as covered.
- Take out the mixture in a bowl and cool it slightly.
- When the temperature goes down make tennis ball size balls from the mixture.
- Serve hot with any spicy curry, curd or dal.
Health Benefits Of Ragi:
- Ragi has a high amount of calcium, good carbohydrates, amino acids and vitamin D which helps in making stronger bones.
- Ragi helps in bringing down the cholesterol level.
- Consuming ragi regularly strengthens the bones and also helps to maintain the iron levels.
- Ragi helps in weight loss and it has high fiber content.
- It battles anemia and regulates the blood sugar levels.
- Ragi has the low glycemic index it helps to reduce food cravings and slow down absorption of starch, thus helps in regulating the blood sugar for diabetic.
- Regular consumption of ragi is highly beneficial in dealing with conditions of anxiety, depression, and insomnia and keeps the body cool.
- Ragi reverts skin aging, it works wonders for maintaining young and youthful skin.
You can try this as morning or dinner time serves. Good for elderly people as it is easily digestible.