Panic attacks can happen to anyone. If not controlled in time, these attacks can create issues for the patient as well as people around the patient. Our brain is a complex machine in which many millions of neurons are intertwined. The state of panic attack comes suddenly due to some deep-seated fear or anxiety. A panic attack is a condition in which a person feels anxiety or fear without any actual reason. This happens only once or twice in life. But if it starts happening suddenly and repeatedly, then this condition can be called panic disorder.
Although panic attacks are usually not fatal, their repercussions can be serious. This can also have a bad effect on the normal life of the person. The silver lining here is that treatment and awareness can effectively cure this problem. Today in this article we will tell you about the symptoms shown in the case and the cure.
What are the symptoms of a panic attack?
The symptoms of a panic attack appear suddenly without warning. What is even more dangerous is that it can occur at any time. Like while driving, shopping at the mall, attending a meeting or function or while the person is in sleep. Panic attacks include emotional symptoms as well as physical symptoms. These symptoms can intensify within a few minutes.
- Exacerbation of fear or fear of death
- Rapid heart rate and sweating
- Dry throat
- Difficulty in breathing
- Nausea or vomiting
- Sudden severe cramp
- Pain in chest and head
- Feeling as if everything is getting lost
If the above symptoms are not controlled, the condition can become more serious.
What to do?
Early detection and awareness of these attacks can cure these attacks and the person can go back to their normal life. Here are certain methods that can be helpful in controlling these attacks.
- At first, you may not understand what happened all of a sudden but by the second or third time, you will start to understand that there was a change in your behaviour and that both your mind and body were out of control. After knowing and understanding the symptoms, immediately consult a doctor and start counselling. Keep in mind that this process will be lengthy, so never miss a treatment.
- Deep breathing and exhalation is very method to keep the mind balanced. Along with this, breathing exercise is also helpful in making the body healthy. It can bring great relief in the ongoing turmoil at the mental level.
- The benefits of physical exercise are innumerable. Physical exercise will help you here also. It is not a matter of a day or a month, so keep your exercise routine regular. This gives energy to the body as well as the mind so that it does not lose control even in adverse situations.
- Aromatherapy has been used for a long time to give peace to the mind. Natural oils or fragrances are used in this therapy. For panic attacks, Lavender’s aroma is very beneficial. Rub two drops of lavender oil or spray on the back of the wrist or palm and inhale it slowly while taking deep breaths. It will also help in getting out of the state of anxiety. If you are also taking any kind of medicine, then you must consult a doctor once about how to use aromatherapy.
- Meditation is the most effective way to keep the mind calm and balanced. Loud noises and noisy surroundings can make panic attacks worse. Therefore, as soon as the attack comes, immediately sit in a quiet place with your eyes closed for some time. Breathe slowly and try to calm the mind.
- Indulge in any creative activity that refreshes your mind like painting, dance, music.
- Sharing your state of mind with friends, family or a support group is also very beneficial. Choose someone who understands your situation.
- Most importantly, when a panic attack strikes, keep in mind how it started. In a particular environment, in the midst of a crowd, or an everyday situation. If you start knowing and understanding these triggers, then you will be able to control yourself easily. Try to know the positive side of every situation. Also, adopt muscle relaxation techniques.