Anemia is a serious condition in which reduction of red blood cells in the blood causing weakness in our body. If this is not treated on time, it can be a foundation for many serious health issues like damaging of heart, brain and other organs due to the lack of oxygen.
Beetroot can cure this problem very effectively. The main components in beetroot are iron, vitamin C, vitamin B1, B2, B6, calcium, potassium, sulphur, iodine etc. To increase the percentage of red blood cells, the iron content in beetroot helps a lot.
Cuisine Type: Indian
Ingredients (For 2 people)
Beetroot: 2 medium
Potato: 1 medium
Onion: 1 large
Coconut: 1 cup grated
Dry red chilli: 2 pieces
Coriander seeds: 1 tsp
Oil: 1 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Cut beetroot and potato into small pieces and boil it in a pressure cooker by adding enough water.
- In a frying pan, add coconut, coriander seeds and dry chillies.
- Fry them till they turn brown.
- Grind the mixture to a smooth paste once they cool down.
- Heat another pan with oil, and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and finely chopped onion.
- Fry them till onion turns pink colour.
- Now add boiled beetroot and potato to them. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Finally, pour the ground coconut paste into this and mix well.
- Adjust the consistency of the dish by adding water.
- Sprinkle salt as per the taste and bring it to boil. Dish is ready and serve hot.
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Recipe’s health benefits:
Vitamin C in beetroot boosts the immune system. Vitamin B and foliate are essential elements during the pregnancy period, which lowers the risk of birth defects.
Potatoes are loaded with iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, sodium, vitamin C and vitamin B6. All these are important for healthy bones and heart.
Onion contains antioxidants that reduce the risk of heart diseases.
Addition of coconut makes the dish more delicious. Coconut is packed with so many nutrients, fiber and vitamins which are important for the overall development of the body.
Beetroot kuruma is the best combination for chapathi. Most of the kids get attracted towards a dish because of its colour and taste. This dish is one among them. Beetroot kuruma is good for pregnant women also. Try to include more iron-rich fruits and vegetables in the diet to fight against anaemia.