A busy lifestyle, unhealthy food habits, lack of exercise and high stress level result in a flabby tummy. Lack of abdominal strength manifests in the form of low back pain and can cause the visceral organs to sag. It can bring about the maladies of the pelvic region.
Proper diet, combined with a fitness routine can help to reduce lower tummy fat to an extent. Females are prone to store fat in the lower belly because of hormones, genetics, and age factor. It may be difficult to reduce in some cases. Nowadays, losing lower abdominal fat is a common weight loss goal. Abdominal fat is harmful. Research suggests links with diseases like type 2 diabetes and heart disease. Hence, losing lower tummy fat can have significant benefits for health and well-being.
Every human body stores fat differently. The lower belly is a place where fat gets accumulated quickly. This is because of:
- Lifestyle factors
- Lack of sleep
Patience is key when you’re working to get rid of belly fat, but there are things you can try to optimize the process.
- Lifestyle changes to reduce lower tummy fat
- Apart from diet and exercise, lifestyle changes can help in weight loss. Healthy habits have a domino effect. Add one or two healthy habits to your routine.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Practice mindful eating, and try to eat slow. Take your time while eating. It will prevent overeating.
- Quit smoking before trying any kind of calorie restriction plan. It will make workouts more effective.
- Try to get sound sleep. Poor sleep increases stress which has been linked to weight gain.
- High-intensity interval training or HIIT has been linked to the reduction of fat among adults. Those who participated in HIIT exercise three times per week saw similar results as people who opted for a daily 30-minute session of moderate cardio. Long term sticking to the regimen is needed for successful results.
- Use an app or stopwatch to time your intervals. Decide on the exercises such as sprints, burpees, speed bag, or other cardio activities. Workout for at least 45 seconds. Take a break for 45 seconds before repeating the exercise.
- To burn fat, do a HIIT or cardio workout before you move to other exercises such as weightlifting and Pilates It is a great way to supercharge your workout.
- The hundred is a Pilates exercise that targets the deep inner abdominal muscles. Lie down flat on your back on a yoga mat, with your knees bent and feet on the floor. Float your legs up so the knees are in a table-top position and feet remain flexed. Point your fingers away from you. Extend your arms as you lift them off the ground. Lift your chest and upper back off the ground. Breathe in, and pump your arms up and down as you hold your chest and neck off the ground. Try to breathe in unison with your arms’ movement, and count. Hold the pose to a count of 100 before hugging your knees into your chest and exhaling to release the tension from your chest. Repeat it for 2-3 times.
- Scissor switch is another lower ab exercise that’s used in Pilates workouts. Start on your back on a yoga mat, and lift your legs toward the ceiling at a 90-degree angle. Your feet should be flexed. Tuck your hands behind your head. Lift your chin to your chest and hold. So that the rib cage folds over toward your belly button. Let one of your legs fall toward the floor. Stop your leg before it hits the floor. Hover it about an inch above the floor. Bring the leg back up. Repeat with the other leg, alternating as you hold up your chest. Repeat for 20 reps.
Yoga plays a vital role in reducing lower tummy fat.
- Standing Forward Bend (Padahastasana)
Staying in the standing forward bend position gives a toned and firm stomach. This position compresses the abdomen while bending forward. It regulates the burning of fat. Fit abdominal muscles give you better digestion. It also strengthens wrist joints and is an excellent way of getting relief from physical and mental exhaustion.
- Bow Pose (Dhanurasana)
This pose is perfect for achieving a perfect posture. It offers a good stretch for back, abdomen, arms, thighs, and chest. It tightens abs and strengthens your core which results in the reduction of belly fat. Rocking back and forth in this position stimulates the digestive system and provides relief for constipation.
- Wind Easing Pose (Pavanamuktasana)
It strengthens abdominal muscles. It triggers the fat burning in the lower tummy. Your knees exert pressure on the stomach, leading to toned abs, thighs, and hips. Also, it balances the pH level to improve metabolism and stomach health.
- Mountain Pose (Tadasana)
This is a warm-up pose that improves blood circulation. It also corrects body posture, strengthens knees, thighs and abdomen. Practicing mountain pose will burn lower belly fat. Taking a deep breath while staying erect, stimulates the fat burning process.
- Consuming more calories than you burn may result in the development of visceral fat. It sometimes accumulates around the abdomen. Eating the right food may help aid weight loss. Avoid or limit highly processed food, refined sugars and bleached grains. Focus on adding healthy protein and fiber to your diet. Cruciferous veggies (broccoli, kale, cauliflower) may keep you full for a longer time. Protein can boost stamina and energy without adding calories to your daily needs.
- Avoid or limit sweetened drinks, energy drinks and diet sodas. Stick to anti-inflammatory beverages, such as Green tea and water.
- Having a flat and toned stomach is not impossible if you set your mind to. You don’t need to spend too much time at the gym doing those crunches.