Women are at higher risk of gaining excess fat around the hip region. It is an advantage during pregnancy. But after a certain age, pregnant or not, women start gaining weight around the hips depending on their body type. It causes cellulite (orange peel-like skin due to fat accumulation and expansion of the skin). Hip fat is a sign of an unhealthy lifestyle.
The underlying cause of hip fat is fat retention. The fat cells accumulate when the body doesn’t burn as many calories as it is consuming. These fat cells can become noticeable as they accumulate in certain areas, such as around the waist and hips. Fat can accumulate anywhere in the body. Certain factors increase the chances of fat retaining in the hip, lower back, and abdominal areas. Factors that contribute to hip fat include:
- Hormones, especially excessive cortisol
- Lack of physical activity
- Diet high in fats, sugars, and high-calorie foods
- Sleep deprivation
- Undiagnosed or untreated conditions that slow down your metabolism (hypothyroidism or underactive thyroid).
- Home remedies
- Keep yourself hydrated to flush out toxins and boost metabolism. Drink at least 3 l of water every day for visible changes in your body weight. Add various herbs and spices to your water.
- Lemon water is known as a fat mobilizer. Vitamin C in the lemon helps boost immunity and scavenges harmful free radicals. It also balances the internal pH and activates metabolism.
- ACV or apple cider vinegar can be used as a substitute for lemon. It promotes weight loss. ACV is a potent obesity inhibitor and hence reduces the risk of heart disease. It is most effective when consumed 30 minutes before a meal.
Add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a few drops of honey to a glass of water. Stir well and drink on empty stomach.
Also Read:- Ginger benefits for skin and hair
Soak two teaspoons of fenugreek seeds overnight in water. Strain it in the morning. Add ACV and consume it.
- Sea Salt
Constipation and a poor digestive system can make you gain weight and prevent the normal functioning of the cells and organs. The colon or large intestine should be clean for healthy digestion and metabolism. Use sea salt to cleanse the system. The vital minerals in the sea salt act as a laxative that cleanses the colon and improves digestion. Avoid sea salt if you have hypertension, kidney, or liver problems.
Add two teaspoons of unrefined sea salt to a glass of warm water. Stir and drink on empty stomach.
Add the few drops of half a lime to the sea salt solution and drink it on an empty stomach.
- Black coffee or coffee without sugar or cream can help to shed the extra pounds. Coffee suppresses appetite and makes you feel full. Drink a cup of black coffee 20 minutes before any meal for the best results. Go for green coffee. It has caffeine traces. It is loaded with chlorogenic acid that boosts metabolism and prevents fat absorption.
- Green tea contains antioxidants. It has epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), a potent antioxidant that helps flush out toxins and kick-start metabolism, improves digestion and increases satiety. Drink green tea without sugar or cream. Avoid flavored green tea. Drink herbal tea for fat loss.
- Get good rest to prevent the body from collapsing. without enough rest, muscles will not recover from daily wear and tear. Sleep deprivation can slow down metabolism and make you gain excess fat in the lower body. Sleep for at least 8-9 hrs.
- Running is an excellent aerobic activity for full-body weight loss. Running helps to tone the leg and butt muscles. It gives defined shape to buttocks. It also improves heart-lung functions and strengthens the lower body. Running helps burning more calories as well as fat than walking.
- High-intensity interval training (HIIT) helps to lose butt fat. It is a popular fitness trend around the globe. It requires putting maximum effort into a specific activity for a short period followed by a longer period at a slow pace. HIIT includes intense workouts. They are shorter in duration than moderate-intensity activities.
- Step-climbing is an easy way to tone the glutes. It enhances strength and muscle tone in the butt and upper legs. Climbing flights of stairs up to five times per day has a measurable impact on oxygen uptake and reduced low-density lipoprotein or bad cholesterol.
- Squats are part of various exercises. It can work several muscles in the butt, legs, and abdomen.
- Lunges strengthen the lower-body by activating and toning the gluteus maximus. The variations are sideways, forward, and transverse lunges. The basic forward lunge is beneficial for the thighs and calves.
- One-leg deadlift works on the lower body, improves balance, strengthens the abdominal muscles and lower back. One-leg deadlifts activate the gluteus muscles.
- Side-lying hip abduction is effective for strengthening the gluteus medius muscle.
Yoga helps to give a good stretch to your thighs and hips. It also helps in enhancing the blood flow to these areas. It helps to tighten and tone the thigh muscles. Stick to the below-mentioned Yoga exercises and maintain a healthy diet, you are sure to achieve your body goals.
- Utkatasana (Chair Pose)
- Virabhadrasana II (Warrier Pose II)
- Badda Konasana (Butterfly pose)
- Malasana (Garland Pose)
- One should aim at shedding the excess fat from the body and look at the ways to reduce the hip fat. Keeping calorie count is difficult. However, you can always guess at what kind of foods you must avoid to prevent consuming too many calories. Healthy eating habits can help you to get rid of hip fat. Dietary changes and portion control can complement increased exercise and fat-burning activities.
- Plant-based foods, such as berries, dark leafy greens, and whole grains offer vital nutrients without the extra calories and fat. Opt for veggies, fruits, herbs, spices, healthy fats, full-fat milk and full-fat yogurt. Include lean protein such as eggs, fish and white-meat poultry in your diet. Beans and legumes keep you full so that you can reduce your daily calorie intake. Healthy fats are important part of our diet. It helps maintain cell integrity and aid the proper functioning of various organs and biochemical reactions. Their anti-inflammatory properties help to reduce the constant state of inflammation or stress. Hence, lowering the chances of inflammation-induced weight gain. Include coconut oil, clarified butter (ghee), almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, rice bran oil, olive oil and pumpkin seeds in the diet. Make sure you practice portion control or check the serving size as consuming them in excess may harm.
- Avoid sugary food, high-sodium food, fried food, ketchup, and packaged fruit juices. Stay away from processed foods like salami, sausage, frozen foods, and potato wafers.
- Reduce Snacking
Snacking on chips, wafers, or chocolate will make you gain weight and halt your weight loss goal. Eat cucumber, carrot, freshly pressed fruit juices, peach, guava, grilled sweet potato or sprouts. Avoid late-night snacking.