Vitamin C is a very crucial part of our skin. We naturally find it in the dermis and epidermis of the skin. But, due to this everlasting pollution, global warming, harmful UV rays, etc., it keeps on reducing day-by-day from our skin leading to a dull face. It is present in many citrus fruits but the consumption is not enough and it is not absorbed in the facial muscles in the same way. So, a Vitamin-C is usually recommended by dermatologists to improve the general make-up of our skin. It provides excellent results in achieving a glowing and healthy look.
We often pay a visit to salons to get a facial. But these are no permanent solutions to replenish the dead skin cells. It just provides temporary satisfaction that lasts for a few days. It may just result in a burn-in our pockets.
Or one may try to purchase a ready-to-use face serum from the market but again the price range varies from 1000 to 5000 RS. So, let’s try out the do-it-yourself version of Vitamin-C face serum and save our money.
Also Read- Effective DIY Eye Masks
Ingredients And Making:-
It requires 3 Ingredients for its preparation: VITAMIN-C POWDER, VEGETABLE GLYCERIN, DISTILLED POWDER.
Now, it is made according to different concentrations:
- For 5% Vitamin-C concentration:Mix 1/4 tsp of Vitamin-C powder, add 4 tsp of Distilled water, and 3/4 tsp of vegetable glycerine together.
- For 10% Vitamin-C concentration: Mix 1/4 tsp of Vitamin-C powder, add 2 tsp of Distilled water, and 1/4 tsp of vegetable glycerine together.
- For 15% Vitamin-C concentration: Mix 3/8 tsp of Vitamin-C powder, add 2 tsp of Distilled water, and 1/8 tsp of vegetable glycerine together.
- For 20% Vitamin-C concentration: Mix 1/4 tsp of Vitamin-C powder, add 3/4 tsp of Distilled water, and 1/4 tsp of vegetable glycerine together.
NOTE:- Stir all these together in a glass bowl with the help of a wooden spatula, unless it forms a colourless solution, and then transfer it to a dark glass bottle installed with a dropper.
Other ingredients that can be used in this mixture:
- VITAMIN-E: It stabilizes the Vitamin-C concentration.
- FERULIC ACID: It reduces the pH level of the serum to less than 3.5 that works wonders for the skin.
- GLUTATHIONE: It is an anti-oxidant itself.
- HYALURONIC ACID: It acts as a hydrating agent.
- ALOE-VERA GEL: It is one of the best supplements for skin in reducing pigmentation.
There is a complete sequence to follow for its application for effective results:-
- Cleanse your face with a face wash and rinse it with normal water.
- Dab dryyour face completely.
- Now, use the dropper and spill a few drops of the colourless solution on your face. Pat the serum gently all over the face and let it get absorbed in your skin.
- After 10 minutes use a moisturizer or sunscreen on the face.
NOTE:- Apply this 1-2 times a day, preferably early morning and once at night. Do not apply in when the sun is up, because UV rays reduce the Vitamin-C from the face and it proves ineffective.
Also Read- 9 Homemade Facial Toners For Beautiful Skin
Benefits Of Using This Serum:-
- ANTI-OXIDANT:- It reduces the inflammation and damage caused by the free radicals produced from the UV rays, pollution, smoking, and stress.
- ANTI-AGEING:- Our skin contains a protein named Collagen. This serum boosts the same and makes the skin firmer and wrinkle-free. Over and all, it reduces premature aging.
- FIGHTS PIGMENTATION:- It reduces melanin in our skin, which is the primary cause of dark patches, spots, uneven skin tone, acne scars, and pigmentation. It fights against pigmentation and results in brightening and lightening the skin tone.
- HYDRATES THE SKIN:- It results in the hydration of the skin, making it more glowing and healthy-looking.
What Form And Concentration Are The Best For Use?
There are many popular Vitamin-C powders available in the market. But only a few ones get absorbs into the skin and are popularly known.
- L Ascorbic Acid:- It is not recommended for sensitive skin (cause irritation). It is very effective as it gets absorbed very well in the skin.
- Magnesium AscorbylPhosphate:- It is proven best for sensitive skin.
- Ascorbyl Palmitate
- Tetrahexydecyl Ascorbate
Recommended concentration: 5% to 20% works well with the skin.
We generally recommend beginners to start from 5% or 10% and after it’s tolerance on skin. Gradually increase the concentration to 15-20%.
How Long Does It Take Clear The Face:-
It shows the best results within a time span of 1-4 months.
Factors which affect the time of results:-
- Type of Vitamin-C suitable on your skin.
- If it’s a high concentration i.e. 15-20% solution, it shows faster results.
- Regular application leads to better absorption in the skin and leads to faster results.
- The age of a person plays an important role, it shows faster results on young skin.
- Lifestyle i.e. consuming alcohol or smoking may lead to delay in the results than the one who practices exercise, meditation, etc.
- A healthy diet is a must for effective results.
- Skin concern being targeted, if it is a deep pigmentation issue, it will take time to show results.
Important Points To Consider For Increasing The Effectiveness:-
- If any person has Melasma i.e. deep pigmentation, Vitamin-C is not enough for providing the best results. It needs to be combined with other treatments and peel-offs recommended by dermatologists.
- If you are a first-time user, it is better to start with a PATCH TEST. Apply 1-2 drops of the serum near the ear and neck area at night and if it causes redness and irritation on the skin the next morning, then your skin is too sensitive for this acid.
- Usually, Vitamin-C has a reservoir effect, i.e. it is present in the skin for a maximum of 72 hours. But, living in an environment full of pollution and global warming, we recommend it to apply once to thrice a day.
- The solution needs to be colourless. We keep it if it too long or in an appropriate container, it turns yellowish. It means that Vitamin-C is oxidized and is no longer effective for usage.
- PACKAGING is very important to be considered. It needs to be stored in a dark preferably black coloured air-tight glass bottle, otherwise, it may lead to oxidation of the serum.
- While making a homemade serum, it is important to maintain a proper balance in the ingredients.
- A serum can be oil/water or cream-based:
For an oily skin type:- water-based serum is recommended
For a dry skin type:- Oil or Cream-based proves best.
Benefits Of Making A Homemade Serum:-
- All the ingredients i.e. Vitamin-C powder can be purchased from a pharmacist or online, Distilled or filtered water can be arranged from a nearby chemist and glycerine is available at all the grocery stores i.e. these are easy to get sitting in any corner of the world.
- This DIY hack can be done within 5 minutes without any professional help.
- It works better than the ones purchased from the markets including no chemicals.
- It is inexpensive and useful for those who have money constraints.
- The concentration level of Vitamin-C can be rearranged according to the preference, unlike the store-bought ones.
This serum has proved effective for millions of people. So, why don’t you try it and enjoy skin like the one experienced in your childhood.