What we need to do right now, in these Covid times, can be summed up by this quote of PM Modi: –
Citizens participated in the battle against COVID-19 last year, considering it their duty. The same feeling of Janbhagidari needs to be encouraged now as well.PM Narendra Modi
Thus, in today’s updates we shall see how far we have reached in getting ourselves tested. Additionally, we shall also look at the vaccine situation in our country.
We need to take as much precautions as possible in this situation. India reported over 1 lakh cases yesterday out of the 13.84 lakh tests conducted.
- PM Modi interacted with Governors and Chief Ministers to assess the situations in each state.
- Government of India went on to assure that there is sufficient stock of Oxygen available.
- Additionally, it also debunked the news of a lockdown from 15th-30th April. Thus, that news is now proven FAKE.
- Maharashtra government has postponed Medical Exams until June. On the other hand, the Gujarat Government too postponed exams.
- Delhi Government also announced a Weekend Curfew. It will be from Friday 10 PM to Monday 6 AM.
- The government said that 100 new hospitals will have their own oxygen plant under PM-CARES Fund and another 50,000 MT of medical oxygen will be imported for easier availability of essential medical equipment and oxygen in the wake of rising cases of COVID-19.
- EG2 mapping medical oxygen supply to the States
- Malls, Gyms and Spas will be closed.
This is a moment of grave crisis as just in the last 24 hours, the COVID death toll stands at 1038. The only saving grace comes from the fact that India is having one of the best recovery rates at around 88%.
State of Covid Vaccination
Right now, our best hope in fighting this virus lies in vaccines. Thus, we shall look into what the authorities are doing to ensure doses for all.
- Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Maharashtra till date, have administered more than 1 crore doses.
- Centre approves increase in production of Remdesivir & reducing its prices.
- Approval given to 7 additional sites to 6 manufacturers for production of Remdesivir.
- PM Modi has assured that the governement is looking to it that there’s adequate availability of vaccines.
On the other hand Health Ministry issued regulatory pathways for foreign vaccines. These state that : –
- A foreign vaccine manufacturer can apply for grant of approval for Restricted Emergency Use in India. However, this has to be via their Indian Subsidiary or it’s Authorised Agent in India (in case former isn’t there)
- The CDSCO will process such applications and take a decision within three working days from the date of submission of the complete application by the applicant.
- DCGI will issue permission for Restricted Use in Emergency situation. However, the vaccine must stand to the guidelines prescribed under the National Covid-19 Vaccination Programme.
- Central Drugs Laboratory (CDL), Kasauli will release each batch of the vaccine, before it comes into use as per the guidelines prescribed under the National Covid-19 vaccination programme.
- The applicant will only use the Covid vaccine, after receipt of CDL approval, initially only on 100 beneficiaries and submit the safety data to CDSCO.
- CDSCO will then review the safety data submitted by the applicant, and once found satisfactory, will authorise the applicant to use the vaccine.
PS. 2 Gaj Ki Doori Hai Zaroori