Ripe coconuts are cracked open and its firm, white flesh is removed manually or using an extracting device. The grated flesh is blended with water and strained to form coconut milk. The process of making coconut milk is done industrially and in one’s kitchen as well, which makes it quite accessible.
- Properties of Coconut Milk
It’s a vegan alternative to dairy milk. There are several reasons why coconut milk is widely popular. Many of them come down to what’s inside every glass of it. Coconut milk contains medium-chain triglycerides which can stimulate heat production. It is a source of saturated fats, manganese, copper, magnesium, and iron. It contains lauric acid which is converted to monolaurin. It also contains medium-chain fatty acids such as capric acid and caprylic acid which has antibacterial, and antiviral properties. It is also antimicrobial which allows it to fight infection and prevent bacterial build-up. Packed with fatty acids, minerals, and vitamins, coconut milk imparts moisture, treats skin conditions, and reduces dryness.
- When it comes to hair, coconut milk has numerous benefits. Lauric acid is one of the key ingredients in coconut. This long-chain/medium-chain fatty acid is known for its ability to penetrate hair easily and help strengthen the cuticle.
- It is high in protein. Human hair is made of keratin, a type of protein that is supported by what you eat. Coconut milk has a high protein content that can potentially strengthen the hair.
- It is high in vitamins C, E, B-1, B-3, B-5, and B-6. While proteins, fats, and carbohydrates are the macronutrients the human body needs to function properly, it also needs the micronutrients.
- Coconut milk is a natural alternative to soothe sunburn. It acts as a cooling agent along with being gentle. Apply freshly extracted coconut milk on the sunburned area to reduce redness and stinging.
- Coconut milk has a moisturizing effect to combat skin dryness effectively.
- It is useful in treating skin conditions. Coconut milk is suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin. Due to its soothing and moisturizing properties, it can be used to treat dry and irritated skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
- Micronutrients in coconut milk such as antioxidants, vitamins C, vitamin E, as well as B vitamins such as B-1, B-3, B-5, and B-6 help to keep the hair healthy, strong, and moisturized.
- Coconut oil has been noted for making the hair cuticle stronger. Hence, harmful substances and water won’t lead to breakage as easily. In turn, it helps to reduce the rate of hair loss related to damage.
- Coconut milk is known for its moisturizing effects to condition hair and scalp. It restores dry hair and scalp. The fatty acid content of coconut milk has moisturizing effects. These can restore both dry hair and scalp, acting as a conditioner for damaged hair.
- Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory effects, which may help scalp conditions such as dandruff. Certain drugstore dandruff shampoos contain coconut oil along with conventional ingredients.
- DIY Home Remedies for Healthy Skin
- Coconut Milk Face Mask
Mix 2 tablespoons of coconut milk with 3 drops of almond oil and 1 tablespoon of honey. Apply on face. Wash after 30 minutes. It will rejuvenate dull and dry skin.
- Coconut milk skin pack
Mix 3 tablespoons of coconut milk with 1tablespoon of honey and 2 tablespoons of finely ground almond powder. Apply on the face and neck. Wash it off with warm water after 30 mins. Honey and coconut milk restores moisture while almond powder removes dullness.
Also Read:-Role Of Women In The Family!
- Coconut Face Wash
It is designed to moisturize and eliminate pimples. Combine 1/4 cup raw, local honey, 1/4 cup water, organic coconut water or coconut milk, and 1 tablespoon liquid castile soap. Put it into a plastic bottle with a nozzle. Avoid shaking the bottle. Pour a small amount of the mixture into the palms and apply it to the face massaging gently.
- Coconut Coffee Scrub
Combine 1/2 cup ground rice, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1/4 cup coffee grounds (or brown sugar), and 1 1/2 tablespoons of grated ginger in a glass jar with a lid. Stir to make a thick paste. Apply over the entire body in a circular motion. Rinse in the shower.
- Make-up remover
To remove your makeup, add 2 parts of olive oil to 1-part coconut milk on a cotton pad. It cleanses the face and nourishes the skin deeply at the same time.
- Premature Ageing
Coconut milk is a rich source of Vitamin C and Copper. Vitamin C helps maintain skin elasticity and flexibility. Copper helps to prevent wrinkles, sagging skin, and age spots. Soak 5 almonds overnight. Peel the skin off and add coconut milk to make a smooth paste. Apply it on the face. Rinse it off with cold water after 15 minutes.
- DIY Home Remedies for Healthy Hair
Apply a homemade hair mask. Use shampoos and conditioners made with coconut oil or milk. Opt for pure coconut milk for scalp treatment. Drink coconut milk to help the hair from the inside out. Many drugstore products contain coconut oil but these aren’t considered pure coconut milk. Pure coconut milk is highly beneficial for hair.
- Coconut Milk Hair Pack
Blend half cup of coconut milk with half avocado and 2 tablespoons of honey. Apply the pulp on lengths, tips, and then massage into roots. Leave for 2-3 hours and wash off with warm water. The extremely hydrating mask with softening hair and tame frizz.
- Prepare a hair mask using homemade coconut milk along with hair-promoting oils (argan, almond, or jojoba). Add a few drops of any of the above oil to coconut milk for extra moisture. Apply it to clean, wet hair. Use a wide-toothed comb to coat the product evenly on hair. Leave it on for up to 25 minutes, and then rinse out completely. Follow up with the hair conditioner.
- Divide hair into the sections and apply coconut milk from the root to the tip using a hairbrush. Leave it for 25 minutes before rinsing the hair gently with lukewarm water. Massage your scalp daily using coconut milk. It contains healthy fatty acids that make it an excellent hair nourishing agent.
- To prevent the hair fall and promote hair growth, take equal quantities of coconut milk and water. Add a few drops of lavender oil. Apply on the scalp and massage gently. Let it sit for one to two hours before rinsing. Do it once every week. Essential oil and coconut milk are beneficial for hair growth as they help in boosting blood circulation.
- Combine half a cup amla powder, one cup coconut milk, and 2-3 drops of rosemary essential oil. Mix well and apply evenly on hair. Let it sit for 30 minutes before rinsing the hair.