- What is E.M.O.M (Every Minute on the Minute) Workout
- Benefits of the workout
- What do you need to get started with the workout?
- Useful Safety Tips
In the hectic schedule, people strive to find time for the exercises. Hence, they want to do more in the stipulated time. When time is a constraint, E.M.O.M workouts can be your new companion. You can do an E.M.O.M workout in the training room or in your own living room. It is a form of interval training where the challenge is to complete a predetermined set of repetitions of an exercise in a minute. It ensures more training volume, recovery abilities and stimulus. You can program it with cardiovascular protocols and array of other exercises.
What is EMOM (Every Minute on the Minute) workout?
E.M.O.M workouts are a form of high-intensity interval training. While doing the exercise, you perform short intense exercises and alter them with low-intensity recovery time. You get 1 minute to complete a specific set of repetition of a particular exercise. The key factor of this workout is to be able to complete your repetitions before the minute is over. During the remaining seconds of the minute, you can take rest before moving on to the next exercise.
Benefits of the workout
Doing E.M.O.M workout on a regular basis can give you various advantages. Some of the significant benefits are mentioned below: –
- Convenient and Quick – In a busy day, it is difficult to work out and stay fit. But you can still perform E.M.O.M workouts despite being busy, as it takes only 10-30 minutes every day. As they require little to no equipment and can be done in less space as well, this is a convenient to do regime. You can do E.M.O.M workouts at the gym or even in your own house.
- Boost metabolism efficiently – As E.M.O.M workouts are a type of high-intensity interval training, it is an effective way to reduce your body fat percentage and increase the rate of metabolism. Based on few evidences, it is clear that E.M.O.M workouts help to get lean and to build your strength. The workouts also help in post-increase oxygen consumption.
- Allows Variety – You can customize E.M.O.M workouts to target most of the muscle groups of your body. Exercises are tedious and therefore seem to be boring. Thus, you can bring in variety by adding new exercises to align it seamlessly with your preferences and goal. Additionally, you can even introduce equipment such as exercise bands and dumbbells to make E.M.O.M workouts more interesting.
- Best for group settings – E.M.O.M workouts are best-suited workouts for large group settings. You can set up workouts in stations , where y’all can do exercises at varying intervals. It helps the coaches to minutely observe the progress of athletes even when they are trained in a group. When one group performs the first set of repetitions, the other group rests and it goes on.
What do you need to get started with the Workout?
There are few basic items that you would need to get started with the E.M.O.M workout session. They are as follows: –
- As you need to keep a close check on time, you would need a clock or stopwatch to keep time. Alternatively, you can even use your phone’s timer.
- Before starting, take a look at the workout plan carefully. It will help you to determine the space that you would need to perform the workouts. Consider giving yourself some extra space that what is actually required.
- If you are keen to use equipment, you may grab any equipment that is suitable for you. There are various kinds of exercises that can be done using just your body weight. However, including resistance bands, barbells, wrist weights and dumbbell can make the workouts even more effective and fun.
- E.M.O.M workouts are high intensity workouts; hence, you should ensure that you keep a water bottle close to the reach of your hand. By taking few sips in-between the exercises, you will be able to stay hydrated.
Useful Safety Tips
To get the most from EMOM workouts, you should consider the following tips:
- Warm-up and cool downs are essential – Before starting an E.M.O.M workout session, it is important to get your body moving. Try to spare few minutes in dynamic stretches or light cardio. It will lower the risk of injury. Even after you have finished the workout, you should spend another few minutes to cool down and stretch.
- Take required recovery time – Everyone won’t be able to perform the workout at the same pace. If you are a beginner, each set will be more tiring for you. Make sure you pause and allow some extra recovery time. Make sure to intake few sips of water in-between the repetitions.
- Pay attention to your form – If you want to reap maximum benefits from the E.M.O.M workout, focus on the correct form. It will prevent you from injury, especially when doing it for the first time. Preferably, work out in front of the mirror to ensure right form and technique.
- Use convenient weights – If you plan to include weights with any of the exercises, start with a convenient weight as overly heavy weights can cause injury. When confident enough, try with heavier weights in the next round.
EMOM is a successful and time efficient workout program. You can scale and organize it according to the needs of each athlete or fitness enthusiasts. Always remember, the recovery time is crucial for E.M.O.M workouts and thus, you should not skip it. Proper rest to your body increases your chances to recover before the next exercise. E.M.O.M workouts are tiring and therefore, DO NOT over-do it out of excitement.