Banana Stem Paratha
The banana tree is one of the most useful among all the trees. In some way, we are using almost all parts of the banana tree. The leaves of the banana tree is used for eating purpose especially in South India, ripped banana as a fruit, raw banana and flower are as curries. Banana tree stem is also used for eating purpose only as it has so many medicinal properties. It has more fibre content. It improves ability to fight body infections. While adding banana stem to your diet, it makes wonders to our body and keep your kidneys healthy.
Generally, banana stem is used for curry, but here I tried a paratha by stuffing raw banana and its stem. It is very tasty and simple. It looks like a normal paratha.
Cuisine Type: Indian
Ingredients: (For 2 Servings)
Raw banana stem: 1 medium size
Raw banana: 1 medium size
Onion: 1 small size
Ginger-garlic paste: 1Tsp
Cumin powder: 1tsp
Red chilli powder: 1tsp
Turmeric powder: 1tsp
Black pepper powder: 1tsp
Salt: for taste
Whole wheat powder: 1 cup
- Finely chop the onions.
- Cut the raw banana edges and cut the stem as circle (while cutting the stem, get away the fiber threads coming over the stem).
- Boil raw banana and stem separately in a pressure cooker for 4 whistles by adding salt and water.
- Remove the water from stem and take out the skin of raw banana.
- In a bowl, smash both raw banana and stem as a paste (as possible like a smashing paste).
- In a kadai, add oil to fry the onions (to avoid raw smell).
- Add ginger-garlic paste and fry it.
- Add salt, cumin powder, black pepper powder, turmeric powder and chilli powder.
- Add smash paste of stem and raw banana and mix them all and fry.
- Take wheat flour, add water and salt, and prepare as chapati dough.
- Take cooked stuff as small balls.
- Take wheat dough as large as stuffed ball. Let spread the wheat dough evenly to fit the stuffed ball inside and cover it as a ball.
- Make that as chapati.
- Take a chapati pan, cook the paratha both sides with little oil.
- Serve it with curd.
Cooking time: 4o minutes
Recipe’s health benefits:
- Bananas stem rich in potassium that cures stomach pain, relief for ulcer and burning sensation.
- The high fiber acts as a laxative and ease constipation. Not only this, but also helps in weight loss.
- Also the stem is loaded with lot of iron which increases the production of hemoglobin.
- Drinking the juice of banana stem with some lemon can prevent the formation of kidney stones.
- Raw banana rich in vitamin C and B6 that boosts the immune system and also keeps the skin healthy.
- As rich in fiber, keeps away constipation and control blood sugar level.
- A rich source of potassium for healthy heart.
- Onions are low in calories yet high in nutrients, including vitamin C, vitamin B and potassium.
- It reduces cholesterol levels, more antibacterial properties, more antioxidants, contains cancer fighting compounds and boosts bone density.
- Wheat reduces the risk of heart attacks, high blood pressure and maintains low blood sugar levels.
- It contains healthy fats, minerals, lot of fiber and proteins.
Generally north Indians serves as a breakfast. It can serve at night as dinner. Curd is a nice combination of this paratha.