Vitamins and minerals are as essential for keeping the human body healthy and functional. Vitamins are called “essential” because they are not synthesized in the body but they are produced by animals or plants (except for vitamin D). Vitamins are divided as water-soluble and fat-soluble. The water-soluble vitamins are vitamin B-1, B-2, B-3, B-5, B-6, B-7, B-9, and B-12 and vitamin C. Vitamins A, E, D, K are known as fat-soluble vitamins.
Read More: Gain Vitamin D With These Food Items
Minerals are inorganic elements that originate from rocks, soil, or water. Minerals are divided into two groups: major and trace. Below are some of the best food sources of vitamins and minerals
1. Eggs are considered as one of the healthiest foods because they contain all the nutrients including vitamin D, B12, iron, phosphorus, selenium, and protein with all 9 essential amino acids that the body is unable to synthesize on its own.
2. Green leafy vegetables such as kale, spinach, broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, are loaded with vitamins and minerals. These vegetables also contain large quantities of water.
Follow More: Healthy Chicken Recipes: Get Taste & Health Together
3. Blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, and raspberries are full of nutrients, especially vitamin C. Berries are a rich source of antioxidants and flavonoids. Berries are generally lower in calories and sugar.
4. Legumes such as lentils, beans, chickpeas, and peanuts are super healthy. They contain calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, manganese, dietary fiber and protein
5. Dairy products such as milk, yogurt, cream and cheese are high in calcium, a variety of vitamins and minerals such as phosphorus, the B vitamins and vitamin D.
6. Unprocessed grains such as oats and quinoa contain significant quantities of iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, manganese, B vitamins, antioxidants, dietary fiber and protein.
7. Potato is high in potassium, magnesium, iron, copper, manganese, vitamin C and most B vitamins. It contains a little bit of almost every nutrient.
8. Sunflower seeds, flax seeds, pumpkins seeds, and squash seeds are a good source of essential minerals including copper, iron, phosphorus, selenium, and zinc.
9. Mushrooms are considered as a rich source of minerals such as copper, potassium, selenium, and zinc. Mushrooms are low in calories and enhance the flavor of any dish.
10. Garlic is also very nutritious. It is high in vitamins C, B1 and B6, calcium, potassium, copper, manganese, allicin, and selenium.
Read More: What Is Nutrition?